Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Note! RefWorks's add-in RefWorks Citation Manager can't be used on ÅAU computers running Word 2016. ÅAU is about to upgrade to Office 365.
In the meantime, you can use RCM on your private computers on any (updated) version of Word 2013->. (ÅAU students and staff can install Office 365 through the intranet on their private computers.)
Referencing previous research and theories is pivotal to academic writing. Though sometimes, keeping track on your all references can feel more like a necessary evil. Do the in-text citations and reference list match each other? Are all punctuation marks in their right places? We've all been there... Try a reference manager! With a reference manager on your side even the most mischievous references won't pose a threat anymore. The managers will help you produce tidy and correct citations and reference lists.
This guide will show how to use two of the most popular reference managers: RefWorks and Mendeley.
With RefWorks and Mendeley you can
- Save, comment and annotate your references
- Work on different computers as references are stored online
- Cite references swiftly with a few clicks
- Automatically generate perfect reference lists
- Choose between hundreds of reference systems (e.g. Harvard) or edit any of the default systems
- Share your references with your fellow students and colleagues
Due to resources, Åbo Akademi University Library mainly supports the use of RefWorks.